Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I met my husband when my son was nine months old. After we ...

Customer Question
I met my husband when...
I met my husband when my son was nine months old. After we were married we decided my husband would sign paternity papers so my son would have a fathers name on his birth certificate. After two years of marriage my husband left me to move in with an other woman. That was three years ago. Neither one of us have filed for a divorce but I would like to know if I can file for child support? My son is now eight years old.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/1/2008
Family Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 10 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
Yes, you can file for child support even before you file for divorce or legal separation as the father is no longer with the family unit.

The fact that he signed paternity papers and his name was added to the birth certificate shows that he has become the "presumed" father of this child and the court will ask that he pay child support.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
Thank you for the information provided
You are most welcome.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer