How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Resolved Question:

He forced her into a 3mnth program, she could leave anytime but he said he would divorce her. So, she stayed and 2wks prior to leaving the program he sent her papers. She is from Peru and been married to him for 11yrs. They have 2 children. She has no credit or money or home and he is using the children as a tool to make her give into his demands. He now can use her affair, her 1yr of alcohol as an unfit woman which she totally is FIT!!! How does she afford this divorce? Can she make her husband pay for her lawyer or just she just have to submit to his lawyer and have no choice. Im rambling. Let me know if you need more info and details...its hard to put in a nutshell. thanks so much
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
She cannot force the spouse to pay for her attorney's fees. However she or her attorney can petition the court for the spouse to pay her attorney's fees, but there is no guarantee that the Court will grant the request. The Court will compare each party's financial positions in regard to income and property and will attempt to accommodate, but again there is no guarantee.

For the sake of argument, even if the court does not agree for her spouse to pay the fees, she is not required to submit to his lawyer's demands. She has a choice to decide what is agreeable to for her. She needs to remember that she has the right to take things slow and to seek help from the family facilitator's office if she needs help (or her attorney) with paperwork. She will be given opportunity to enter mediation to resolve issues and to create a settlement agreement that she is agreeable with. So she should not be pressured to do what his attorney requests unless she agrees with their offers to settle.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you