How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ex wife harrassment

Customer Question

my 16 year old stepdaughter lives with me and my husband and causing marriage problems and i want her to move with her mother but her mother doesn''t want custody but tries to make the rules in my house saying i have no rights and causes problems between my stepdaughter and myself. she does absolutely nothing for her. I am more then a mother then she is and i get treated terribly. My husband wants to be the best friend. What can i do? Can i go to family court myself and request that the mother take custody since the 16 old does not listen to the rules and her father and mother don''t make her listen either. They let her do whatever she wants and i am the only one making rules and she tells me i am not her mother. my husand and i argue continously about it. The ex keeps sticking her 2 sense in our business and i am thinking about divorce. Please help me and tell me what you think I should do.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


No you can not ask the courts to force the mother to take her. In fact as much as you do not want to hear it you have very few rights as far as this child is concerned. Her father must make the choices on what to do with the child and even he can not force her mother to take her. If he has custody he must deal with his child or ask the courts to remove the child and place her in foster care.

Your only option is to either force dad to deal with his child or leave. You can not make him deal with her nor can you make mom butt out unless dad tells her to. Mom has a right to talk to dad and the child about child rearing even if she is not the custodial parent.

It sounds like your husband needs to make some real choices real quick with his daughter. If he fails to do so you have the right to leave or divorce him.


Related Family Law Questions