Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Is there any way I can speak to a surgeon skilled in eye

Second opinion] Is there any way I can speak to a surgeon skilled in eye enucleation?JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me more about what's going on?Customer: I had to have my eye removed on 10/02/19 . There is a prosthetic in place that my eye muscles are attached to, the conjunctiva has been sutured over the implant with a conformer placed over to keep orbital shape while healing took place. Since then the conjunctive tissue has pulled back and the implant is exposed. The surgeon has sutured it closed. Yesterday was the 3rd time all I can say is the pain was excruciating and today I can see the implant coming through AGAIN! I am desperate for some other knowledge on this.JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about the pain?Customer: Please read the above detailed messageJA: What did you discuss at your last visit to the doctor?Customer: I am to see him in one week and he is hopeful this last time will hold.JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?Customer: No

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.Desai,certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to assisting you with this querry.

Sorry to know about your suffering following the enucleation. Exposure of implant is not so common but can occur for whatever reason, which needs to be surgically corrected. Re-suturing alone is done in such a case. Your ophthalmologist has also done the same but with re-exposure again. This time he may want to use additional graft tissue so as to prevent re-exposure again and again. Graft can be taken from various sites which includes, oral mucosa, myoperiosteal graft and so on. I hope this answers your querry. Let me know if there is anything else you may want to ask in this regard .

Thank you and best wishes

Regards

Dr.Desai

Do remember to rate this response positively if you found it useful and informative.