B Hassan
B Hassan,
Experience:  Consultant Ophthalmologist at Govt. Of Pakistan
105077778

A couple days ago I had eye exam and the optometrist said

good morninga couple days ago I had eye exam and the optometrist said there was a astigmatism. did not mention how severe. I'm going to send you the result of the exam. Can you tell how severe the astigmatism is from this? Thanks

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. BH and I'll try to help you. I am a consultant ophthalmologist and reviewing your question and i'll get back to you as soon as possible.

I have reviewed the picture. OD is your right eye which has -0.50 Diopter cylinder at the 179-degree axis, where OS is your left eye which has -0.75 diopter cylinder at 165 degrees axis. Let me reassure you that this is very mild astigmatism and there is nothing to worry at all. I wish you good luck for good health. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less than that, please feel free to ask more as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my answer when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you. A 5-star rating is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay thanks I was concerned about the development of " lazy eye" complication if left untreated.

What is your age?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Is that a concern with me?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
47

Oh, come on, with these readings and considering your age, the chance of developing a lazy eye is ZERO percent.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ha, thanks. Glad you clarified that for me. Have a great day ;)

You are most welcome. My best wishes and prayers will be following you for good health. Regards

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
hello
may In ask a quick follow up question?

Yes sure please

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
OK, thanks.
On the day I have my eye exam, that morning before the exam, I believe in my left eye I saw bit it distorted light or wavy light. It only lasted for a couple of minutes then went away.
But I neglected to mention this to the physician who examined me. However I'm assuming through his eye exam if there is anything going on there that was concerning he would have noticed it and reported it back to me. Is that accurate?
I did the research on my own and it seems that this symptom is common with astigmatism.
thanks again
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Oh and forgot to mention that it hasn't happened again since Tuesday.

Yes, this is common. Did you see the distorted light with your glasses on or without them?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Without. I don't have glasses yet.

You got your dilated eye exam done?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No dilation but did have Ophthalmoscope exam along with air-puff test and visual acuity

You mentioned that you are seeing a wavy distorted line again since Tuesday again and you still have this. previously it disappeared. Right?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
no, sorry. It happened once Tuesday morning and has NOT happened since.
I saw the dr. for the examination later on that afternoon. He said everything looks healthy.

Then thats fine dear. That was most likely because of your astigmatism. Nothing to worry.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you, that's a relief.
Sometimes I get a a bit out of control with the worst case scenario like a tumor or melanoma or something.
No chance of those issues?

Do you want a phone call, dear? I will clarify all your concerns.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I appreciate that but no thank you.
The last question I asked should be sufficient with your response. Thank you so much. bless for your help

It's fine. There is no need to stress yourself. Just stay calm and relax. Tumors / Melanomas do not present like this.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Wonderful thank you so much. Have a good weekend Dr and know that you've helped me very much :)

My pleasure and thank you for using JustAnswer. Regards.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Hello Dr!
Just want to let you know that I had eyes examined again with a
panoptic ophthalmoscope and the optometrist said everything looked perfectly fine. That was very reassuring.
I'm assuming that if any dark spots or melanomas were present he would have definitely picked up on this to this examination.
Thank you again for your help and reassurance

Yes, dear, there is no chance of missing a melanoma on a panoptic ophthalmoscope. So just relax.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Thank you:)