Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My wife is 85 and in a nursing home. Two weeks ago she would

Customer Question

my wife is 85 and in a nursing home. Two weeks ago she would not eat, take fluids or her meds. She could not talk or open her mouth at all. She stayed in this condition for a little over a week. She then began to take a little liquid and a bite or two of food during the day. She was in a great deal of pain throughout her body. Now she is drinking and trying to eat but when she bites down on anything (soft) immediately the top (above her eyes) of her head becomes extremely painful. That will last for and hour or so. The help will administer some Tylenol for the pain plus they have her on Butrans 5mcg/hr which doesn't seem to do much.
JA: Has your wife used Tylenol or anything similar before?
Customer: yes, they have given her Tylenol for pain for about a year or so
JA: Has she used anything besides Tylenol for this?
Customer: As far as I know the answer is no. I am there everyday and as far as I can tell Tylenol and the pain patch is the max.
JA: Anything else in her medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She has always had migraines but they have been far less since she has been in the nursing home. She has Parkinson but this seemed to come on so quickly
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 months ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 months ago.

what question can I assist you with today?