Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My eye is killing me. Two years ago. It’s not a vision thing…

Customer Question
My eye is killing...

My eye is killing me

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

Two years ago. It’s not a vision thing it’s pain

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Eye
5/28/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 2 months ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.Desai , certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

Sorry to know about your eye pain.

However i would like to ask you a few more questions in this regard-

1.Since how long has you eye been paining?

2.Is it continuous or intermittent?

3.Is your pupil larger in the painful eye than the other eye?

4.Have you seen any eye doctor for the eye pain so far?

5.Do you have any history of sinusities/dental caries/neck pain?

6.What is your age, if I may ask so?

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you.

I’m 33
It’s been intermittent but today it’s been continuous
It started a few weeks ago but was not in the mornings. I’d wake up with a crusty eye and pain and by mid day it was fine. When I’d travel out of the city, it was generally not painful at all.
I dismissed it as allergies at first
My pupils appear to be the same size in both
No history of sinus issues or any of the things you nebtion
No I have not seen a doctor about this yet

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

An intermittent eye pain without any visual disturbance as such is very likely to be due to dry eyes. The tear film in our eye is made up of 3 layers- aqueous, lipid and mucus. When any one or all layers get affected for various reasons, there can be dry spots appearing in the tear film.

It’s very watery
It doesn’t seem dry

A dry spot at the same site would result in reflex watering from the eye or burning sensation or pain sensation in the eye. Frequent blinking gives some relief.

It feels like an ice pick is in my eye

Aggravating factors are excessive long hours of reading/watching TV or laptop or computer or moblie, sitting in an air conditioned room directly in the line of the air flow, exposure to dry or dusty or warm environment.

Do you wear contact lenses or glasses?

Lenses but I removed it today

With a history of contact lens wear I would suggest you not to wear the contact lenses until the eye pain disappears completely. With contact lens wear there is a small risk of injury to the superficial layer of the cornea. Such an erosion can also give rise to watering and pain. You must use lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears liquifilm, 1 drop 4 times a day to help the tear film form adequately and to help the cornea heal.

What can I do to allievate the pain. I’ve alreadt taken several advil
How long will that take

Using the above mentioned eye drops will help reduce the pain. However get your eye examined by an eye doctor if the pain and watering continues even after 24 hours of putting these eye drops. There is small likelihood of corneal infection also which needs urgent treatment by an eye doctor only.

But why would it hurt sometimes in the mornings, be okay, and start again

That is due to tear film dysfunction. The early morning eye crusts is typically seen when the middle layer , lipid layer secreted by meibomian glands of the eyelids, gets affected. Lubricating eye drops would help. You can also give warm/hot compresses to the closed eyelids for 10 minutes, thrice a day to help the glands function properly.

Increasing dietary intake of omega 3 fatty acids is beneficial for meibomian gland dysfunction(MGD). This includes Fish, flax seeds.

Omg iit hurts so bad

A good tear film is essential for corneal integrity and maintains a good ocular surface.

If the pain is really very bad then do visit your ophthalmologist the first thing in the morning. Probably the outermost layer of cornea is abraded. Put the Refresh tears eye drops and patch the eye.

Since you have already taken Tablet .Advil ( Ibuprofen 200 mg), you can now take tablet. Acetaminophen/Paracetamol , 500 mg once to relieve the pain.

NeIs refresh like visibe
What is that and how do I get it

"NeIs refresh like visibe"

Sorry could not understand your last reply

Refresh tears eye drops/ liquifilm,is available over the counter. It does not require any prescription.

Tab.Acetaminophen/Paracetamol , 500 mg is also available over the counter .

Does that make sense?

What re those two things, the 500mg you’re talking about
Is refresh like visine

No, Refresh tears is a purely lubricating eye drop whereas Visine is more of a decongesant eye drop.

Acetaminophen/Paracetamol are both the same. It can be taken to additional pain relief.

Do not use Visine eye drops if you have as they will mask your signs and symptoms and are not recommended for a corneal abrasion or tear film dysfunction.

Are you there?

Is there any thing else that I can answer for you?

I hope that clarifies your doubt. Please let me know if you have anything else to ask in this regard.

Do remember to rate this response positively if it was satisfactory. This is the only way experts are credited for their time and work.

Thank you and best wishes