Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

To use Alphagan drops with just starting eye infections? I…

Customer Question
OK to use Alphagan...

OK to use Alphagan drops with just starting eye infections? I have GCA and now high IOP mid 2o’s from the steroids. Have lost alot of vision in left eye — Symptoms starting in the right guy. Got 1GM steroids in hospital last week. Back on 40 mg prednisone orally.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take predisone and synthroid. My question is I am overdue for my alphagan drops tonight and wondering if it’s OK to use it with the starting eye infections? Have new sumptoms of GCA in right eye

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Allergic to sulphur and vancyicon. Have irregular heartbeat. Elevated blood sugar due to steroid pulse and now back on high doses. Also have autoimmune retinopathy and cataracts now from the steroids also

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Eye
5/28/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 26 days ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.Desai , certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

Sorry to know about all the ocular problems you are facing but let me assure you that Alphagan eye drops can be safely used even in presence of an eye infection.It is better to inform your ophthalmologist regarding the eye infection symptoms so that he/she can decide whether you need any additional antibiotic eye drops. Rest of the medicines can be continued as advised.

I hope that clarifies your doubt. Please let me know if you have anything else to ask in this regard.

Do remember to rate this response positively if it was satisfactory. This is the only way experts are credited for their time and work.

Thank you and best wishes