Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My son has contacts in for the first time and he can’t get…

Customer Question
My son has contacts...

My son has contacts in for the first time and he can’t get them out. He’s been trying for over an hour.

Doctor's Assistant: What are your son's symptoms? Has he used any medication for this?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Has he seen a doctor about this?

Yes today

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Eye
3/30/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 4 months ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

Ask him not to worry or panic about this. It is quite common for beginners to have this kind of a problem.

Ask him to sit with a large mirror in front of him. He can visualize the contact lens in his eye in the mirror reflection. Even he cannot see, it is very likely to be sitting right over the cornea ( colored part). He can place his index finger on the contact lens ( he must wash his hand thoroughly with anti-septic soap thrice). He can gently slide the contact lens downwards towards the lower eyelid. Once it slides down, he can pinch the contact lens with his thumb and index finger. His eye might feel sore for a while after this. Ask him to use lubricating eye drops every 1-2 hours until he finds relief.

Of course in case his attempts are unsuccessful then he will have to visit his optometrist or ophthalmologist for further management.

Hope this helps you to take the right decision. Take care.

Do remember to rate this response positively with 5 stars, if it was up to your expectation/satisfaction. A positive rating is the only way to credit the expert for the advice given and for the time spent. Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

I noticed that you have viewed the response a few hours back but not responded back. Did my answer help?

Was your son able to get the contact lens out of his eye?

I look forward to your reply and rating.

Best wishes

Dr.Desai