Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a sty under my eyelid for over a month....a nurse…

Customer Question
I have had a...

I have had a sty under my eyelid for over a month....a nurse practitioner gave me a prescription of antibiotic eye drops however it did not work after a week. Then the doctor prescribed erythromycin oplhalmic ointment 0.5% with warm compresses....after one week, there was no change.....the doctor then spoke about "lancing" it, but I said no, please refer me....I did not think he was qualified to do the procedure....any suggestions how to get rid of this sty? I had one last year as well in Hawaii where I was living at the time and went to the local health clinic. The nurse practitioner prescribed Gentamicin Sulfate Ointment 0.1% which worked fine....the sty disappeared in a couple of days with no warm compressions. Any suggestions?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

The only medications I take daily are for my thyroid known as Levothyroxin which I have been taking since 2005. I also had some of the first ointment from Hawaii....used it and it did not work this time....I was thinking maybe it is the environment...I just moved to Post Texas (very dry here) and in Hawaii it is humid.....

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No that is it....I am 64 years old, have ALWAYS been very health conscious, walking, biking, jogging etc....even now in Texas, so I have no idea what is going on....

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Eye
3/29/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. A, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

Are you able to send a picture?

sorry...no

Ok, it will be hard to tell you exactly what to do next without seeing it. If it has persisted for this long you either may need a different antibiotic ointment, oral antibiotic, or it needs to be lanced. In addition, it may not even be a stye at all and could be some other skin growth.

My advise would be to see another ophthalmologist so that he/she can look at it and decide if it needs to be lanced. Hope that helps.

I have told you pretty much everything and I just thought that you may reveal something that has not discovered without a phone call....I have been searching the web for answers in lieu of a "lance" procedure.....so I shall sign off now, but thank you...goodbye.

You may also have a chalazion which is an inflamed gland. These sometimes need to be excised if they are persistent. Good luck.