Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am using prednisolone eye drops for uveitis, i didnt visit…

Customer Question
I am using prednisolone...

I am using prednisolone eye drops for uveitis, i didnt visit doctor but started using them once i saw symptoms for this, my redness and sensitivity to light is gone, but when i focus on nearby objects i feel some pain and this has happened to me 3 years ago and i used the same drops it cured, so i repeated the same drops this time too

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

The pain is getting better

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

But how long it usually takes to pain to go away i thik could be the muscles, might be swollen due to uveitis no history of the eye, only uveitis history back in 2014

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Eye
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
pain is also felt when i touch the top of my closed eye, and while focussing pain is on the inner top of the eye
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
pain is also felt when i touch the top of my closed eye, and while focusing pain is on the inner top of the eye
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
can warm compresses help in this case?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
i am using eyedrops now at 3 hours interval currently
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
any over the counter eye drops that i can buy which can help me with this pain?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
these symptoms started on March 19 and i started Predinisolone right away, it got better and i reduced the dose of drops, but then pain increased and i increased the drops too and the pain started to reduce, now only pain is while focusing nearby and sometimes distant objects.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
should i go and see a doctor or keep using the drops?
3/30/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 28 days ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

Self treating uveitis is a dangerous situation as the steroid ( prednisolone) eye drops can be sometimes more harmful than being useful. Steroids can cause over a period of time, steroid induced glaucoma or even cataract.

Though you might feel that your symptoms have subsided after using the steroid eye drops, you would need cycloplegic eye drops to relax the ciliary muscles in the eye which cause eye pain due to ciliary spasm in uveitis. These drops can only be purchased with a prescription from an ophthalmologist.

I would suggest you to review with your ophthalmologist for a closer look and to establish a diagnosis of uveitis first. The next thing would be to thoroughly investigate to identify the root cause of uveitis. Once the diagnosis is established, then the specific medicines can be started. If this episode is indeed due to uveitis, then pain can only be relieved with cycloplegic eye drops such as homatropine eye drops. Warm compresses do not help.

Hope this helps you to take the right decision. Take care.

Do remember to rate this response positively with 5 stars, if it was up to your expectation/satisfaction. A positive rating is the only way to credit the expert for the advice given and for the time spent. Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Regards

Dr.A.S.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist