Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I JUST CAME IN FROM OUTSIDE AND MY VISION STARTED ACTING…

Customer Question
I JUST CAME IN...

I JUST CAME IN FROM OUTSIDE AND MY VISION STARTED ACTING LIKE A KALIDESCOPE AND IS VERY FUZZY .....I CANT EVEN FOCUS WITH MY GLASSES

Doctor's Assistant: Have you experienced any changes or blurriness in your vision? Eye pain? Are your eyes dry or bloodshot?

I HAVE HAD SHARP PAIN IN MY EYES OFF AND ON FOR COUPLE MONTHS

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

LIGHTS AND LONG DAYS

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No i have ibs thats it

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Eye
3/29/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 27 days ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

What you are describing is consistent with ocular migraines, a condition that I not only treat in my office but that I have been dealing with personally for decades.

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon WITHOUT the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects.

There was one time, I was in the middle of a very delicate retina operation, when an attack started. After a few moments I lost most of my central vision and the inferior part of my visual field. I, calmly, removed my surgical instruments from the patients eye and we all sat around in the OR for 15 minutes until my vision returned. Other than that my ocular migraines have not really caused me any significant problems :o)

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD