Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Swolen right eyelid. Red and puffy. Pain in my jaw on the…

Swolen right eyelid....

Swolen right eyelid. Red and puffy. Pain in my jaw on the side where the swollen eyelid is and swelling in area before my ear. Eye is fine.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you experiencing any dizziness? Do you have a fever?

Very slight fever, not dizzy

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, otherwise normal, had chicken pox, someone suggested shingles. Been to the doctor, he is somewhat baffled. I live in a small town, no specialist.

3/27/2018
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

Looks like pre-septal cellulitis. It could be due to viral cause as there is lymph node enlargement in front of the ear. Most viral conditions are self limiting and resolve with or without treatment , over 5-7 days. The only concern is that of added bacterial infection which can turn things nasty and serious if not treated early with antibiotics. It would be difficult to know whether or not you have any bacterial infection too.

If you have had chicken pox earlier, then there can be herpes zoster infection of the eye(Shingles). It does begin with skin rashes along a particular nerve . The one which involves the eye , has skin lesions over forehead, scalp and eyelid. These are very characteristic and cannot be missed. Antiviral medicines are needed to hasten the recovery and to prevent post-herpetic neuralgia.

You can observe over the next few days whether skin lesions develop or not. If none, then unlikely to be shingles.

If you notice any worsening over the next 24-48 hours, then do consult your nearest doctor again for start or systemic antibiotics.

Hope this helps you to take the right decision. Take care.

Do remember to rate this response positively with 5 stars, if it was up to your expectation/satisfaction. A positive rating is the only way to credit the expert for the advice given and for the time spent. Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Regards

Dr.A.S.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist