Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am trying to research why I have a hard crust in the

I am trying to...

I am trying to research why I have a hard crust in the corners of my eyes all day long. I call it gravel

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

General xcheckup 1 yr ago, vision is good. this has been going on for yrs.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Am diabetic

3/27/2018
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

The tear film over our eye is made up of 3 layers- the innermost mucus, middle aqueous and outer lipid layer. Sometimes certain environmental factors, lifestyle and underlying disorders of the eye can result in abnormalities of this tear film which can result in hard crusty debris at the corner of the eyes.

Dry eyes with aqueous layer deficiency can cause excessive accumulation of the mucus layer , thus forming hard crusts.

Avoid removing the hard crusts forcefully. Artificial tear eye drops would help in treating this problem. You can use refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for 3-4 weeks. At the same time you need to avoid those conditions which can aggravate this such as sitting in front of the flow of air from AC, hot dusty environment, dry weather, long hours of reading or viewing computer or television. Keep blinking frequently to prevent the debris from accumulating and help tears to wash it off.

Giving warm compresses would help in proper functioning of the meibomian glands which help in forming the lipid layer. It can be given for 10 minutes thrice a day.

Hope this helps you to take the right decision. Take care.

Do remember to rate this response positively with 5 stars, if it was up to your expectation/satisfaction. A positive rating is the only way to credit the expert for the advice given and for the time spent. Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Regards

Dr.A.S.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist