Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I woke up this morning with film over my right eye. I tried…

I woke up this...

I woke up this morning with film over my right eye. I tried natural tears several times and Blink eye drops and got no relief. My eye isn’t red or irritated. But my vision is impaired. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Could this be a factor?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

Since 3:30 am. Symptoms have remained the same.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/26/2018
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

Yes, Rheumatoid arthritis is known to be associated with dry eyes. But it does not present with sudden onset of blurred vision and if it was indeed due to tear film issues , it would have improved with lubricating eye drops which you have already tried.

The other possibility is that of a large floater arising from posterior vitreous detachment(PVD). The thick gel in the back of the eye undergoes changes resulting in its detachment from surrounding retina. However it is associated with flashes of light most of the times.

A dilated eye exam would help the most to identify any underlying cause for the impaired vision of such sudden onset. Sometimes the blood vessels in the retina develop a block and cause impaired vision.

I guess it is best to get your eye examined by your ophthalmologist for a detailed evaluation along with dilated eye exam.

Hope this helps you to take the right decision. Take care.

Do remember to rate this response positively with 5 stars, if it was up to your expectation/satisfaction. A positive rating is the only way to credit the expert for the advice given and for the time spent. Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Regards

Dr.A.S.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist