Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

The inside of my upper eye lid has been sloughing it feels…

Customer Question
Hi..the inside of my...

Hi..the inside of my upper eye lid has been sloughing it feels sandy and rock on eye ball. Today I was able to get under t upper lid and pull off a sheath like of mucus off the entire inside of the eye lid. Prior I could get only parts of it off. It causes my eye to swell the irritation of the mucus on the eye ball might as well be sand paper. Finally when I got it off off for the third time and the benedryl kicked in I got some relief from the gritty pain. Now just white mucus is migrating out and sticky on my my eye lashes. Also I pull out long eslastically mucus strings out of the eye top and bottom. WHat is going on inside the upper lid. up to 4 sheds today

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No injuries. the swelling starts after I am at my during the day to turn it back and get the shed off which is very sticky and elastic. The sections I can get off that part feels normals. but the other half feels like gritty until I can manage to get it off. Then the whole reshedding starts again, This is new. BUT I have always had long stringy snot things in my eyes I pull out regularly. This eyelid inside the upper eyellid thing is unbelievablely aweful

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

At my eye.....correction in first sentemce

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Eye
3/25/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 27 days ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

Please give me a moment to go through your question.

I believe that the long stringy mucus threads are due to allergic conjunctivitis. It is a very characteristic feature of this condition. Anti-histaminic eye drops would help. Initially you can try OTC available Alaway/Zaditor eye drops, 1 drop twice a day for a few weeks. If the symptoms persist then you can try prescription medicines such as Olopatadine eye drops, 1 drop twice a day for 1 month.

As for the sheet of mucus which you have been peeling off from the under surface of the upper eyelid, it could be due to pseudomembranous conjunctivitis due to bacterial infection of the eye. First thing to do is to stop peeling the mucus and the next thing to do is to consult your ophthalmologist as this would require start of antibiotic eye drops.

Until you meet your ophthalmologist, you can keep instilling lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day.

Hope this helps you to take the right decision. Take care.

Do remember to rate this response positively with 5 stars, if it was up to your expectation/satisfaction. A positive rating is the only way to credit the expert for the advice given and for the time spent. Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Regards

Dr.A.S.Desai

Does that address your concerns?

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist