Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My glaucoma is under medical control, but I experience

My glaucoma is under...

My glaucoma is under medical control, but I experience slight pressure increase in one eye. Could histamine or other medication be the culprit?

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

I see the specialist regularly once a year and take eye drops twice a day. My last visit was in July 2017.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had the kataract operation several years ago and my distance vision was very god without eye glasses.

3/24/2018
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

Do you mean to say that you experience pressure like sensation within one eye?

Which anti-glaucoma medicines are you taking?

Since how long are you taking anti-histamines?

Are you taking any other medicines?

Do you have known history of sinusitis?

Any neck pain/rigidity or dental issues/ painful chewing movement of the jaws?

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One eye only, taking Timolol twice a day, taking antihistamine only if become food alergic, only Sintroid (15) no history of sinusitis, no dental issues, no neck pain, I do exercise regularly

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

If the intraocular pressure is well under control with Timolol eye drops, then it is unlikely to be the cause of pressure like sensation in that eye.

Since the eye is surrounded on all sides by 4 sinuses, it does cause pressure like sensation in the eye whenever any one of the sinuses becomes congested. You can try warm compresses for 10 minutes thrice a day or steam inhalation for symptomatic relief. This can be tried even if you do not have any known history of sinusitis.

Hope this helps you to take the right decision. Take care.

Do remember to rate this response positively with 5 stars, if it was up to your expectation/satisfaction. A positive rating is the only way to credit the expert for the advice given and for the time spent. Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Regards

Dr.A.S.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist