Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with an ear infection last thursday but I…

Customer Question
Hi, I was diagnosed with...
Hi, I was diagnosed with an ear infection last thursday but I think I also have a perforated ear drum. Doctor couldn't tell because there was too much was. I have been taking antibiotics for almost a week ( haven't taken any in over 10 years so they should be effective), my ear is no longer hurting but my neck muscles hurt when I open my mouth wide. Also my hearing from that ear is still slightly blocked and hasn't really improved. I had a Iot of very dark colored wax that I was constantly removing from my ear, and now it's not as much. It should be noted that I also had a very sore tooth and possible infection that I never saw a dentist about in the past month. I'm just wondering if I should see a specialist, but I'm not trying to spend $500 cause I don't have insurance. I had a cold / flu last week leading up to the infection as well.A few questions i watned to ask was how much longer should I expect my hearing to be partially blocked?
1. Will it clear up on its own or do I need to see a doctor? Is there anything I can do to clear it on my own?
2. The pain has lessened drastically but still is sore. It's been going on for a week now. One doctor I talked to on here mentioned to give it 3-4 days On tuesday before I went to see a specialist. I wasn't clear on what to do next. If it doesn't hurt but my hearing is partially blocked in 2-3 days, should I see a doctor? If hearing is still blocked, when should I see someone?
3.If I need to see someone, Should I see an ear nose throat specialist?
4. Or is there anything I can do myself because I don't have insurance
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Thanks. I know you're an eye doc but I couldn't find the general / or ear nose throat specialist

I'm sorry that you are having ear and hearing problems. Let me try to answer each of your concerns.

1. If you still have a wax plug in your ear canal, your hearing will continue to be affected. If you have used over the counter ear wax removal kits, they may not have removed all of the wax. If you have used these, they may be irritating your tympanic membrane causing more irritation.

I'm a general internist answering your question under "Medical"

2. May I suggest you do schedule an appointment with either your PCP or an ENT Specialist for hearing evaluation and to check for ear canal obstruction now. Or, visit an Urgent Care Center.

3. See an Ear Nose and Throat doctor or to save some money, go to an Urgent Care Center.

4. I'm sorry you don't have insurance, but I don't want you to cause any damage to your ear or hearing.

A tooth abscess/infection would cause fever and severe pain (scale of 1-10 you would be 10 +).

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Any additional thoughts, questions?

How are you feeling?