Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

See circular light flash in eye(s) in morning after moving…

See circular light flash in...
See circular light flash in eye(s) in morning after moving in bed or getting up. Occurs rarely. Lasts for a few seconds.
3/22/2018
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

I would like to ask a few questions here-

1. How often do you get these flashes of light?

2. What is your age ?

3. Do you have any systemic ailments?

4. Are you short sighted? Do you need to wear glasses to see distance?

I'll wait for your reply.Thank you.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
1. 10percent of mornings
2. 66
3. Diabetes
4.yes
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I don’t want the phone call option.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Are you still there?

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Occasional flashes of light is very likely to be due to PVD( Posterior vitreous detachment).

In PVD the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field. Most often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist. This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals. You do not seem to be having any of these acute symptoms, so as of now a routine eye exam should suffice.

PVD can occur suddenly at anytime and is a diagnosis of exclusion and does not show any signs as such on eye examination. What you would need at this stage is a routine eye exam ( not an emergency) to look at the back of the eye. If PVD is confirmed then there is nothing much to be done. It would be best to ignore the flashes after that. The flashes will last only until complete PVD occurs.

Hope this helps you to take the right decision. Take care.

Do remember to rate this response positively with 5 stars, if it was up to your expectation/satisfaction. A positive rating is the only way to credit the expert for the advice given and for the time spent. Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Regards

Dr.A.S.Desai

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I have had Pvd in both eyes before. I had an eye exam recently but forgot to mention this.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Does this change your answer?

Ok. PVD can be an ongoing process until the vitreous detaches completely.

Any kind of traction on the retina would result in flashes of light. The most likely cause seems to be PVD. Other causes such as a retinal tear or severe diabetic retinopathy with tractional bands can only be detected after a dilated eye exam with indirect ophthalmoscopy (IDO).

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist