Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I would like to know if a marine pilot has Pinguecula, will…

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to know if a marine pilot has Pinguecula, will this disqualify him from becoming a pilot

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

This is for my military son. He was recently seen by a navy medic who indicated he had a pinguecula in his eye. THey just told him to use eye drops and to start wearing sunglasses. It was caused by outdoor environment, wind, sun

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

His eyes were checked within the last 12 months and has 20/20 vision. The pinguecula is in the corner of the eye towards his nose and away from the cornea

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 1 month ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

A Pinguecula is a harmless condition and is indeed due to environmental factors such as exposure to dust, wind, UV rays of sunlight, all resulting in lipoproteineceous deposits in the conjunctiva ( yellowish fatty deposits on the white part of the eye at its junction with the cornea). Wearing of sunglasses helps along with use of artificial tears. However it should NOT be a reason to disqualify a person from becoming a pilot.

Hope this helps you . Take care.

Do remember to rate this response positively with 5 stars, if it was up to your expectation/satisfaction. A positive rating is the only way to credit the expert for the advice given and for the time spent. Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Regards

Dr.A.S.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist