Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I want a multifocal contact lens and I think a concentric…

I want a multifocal...

I want a multifocal contact lens and I think a concentric type would work best for me. What do you think and how can I find this type of lens?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

My prescription is OD Sphere +1.50 Cylinder -0.75 axes 88 Add +2.25 OS Sphere -1.25 , Cylinder -0.25 Axiz 78 Add +2.25

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I am otherwise a very healthy man

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That should have been +1.25 For the Cylinder OS
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I ment the Sphere
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Left eye is the +150 and the Right eye is +1.25 I can see great in a distance but I can't read worth a darn...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been doing some reading and I think Concentric might work best but it is difficult to get good info.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Left
3/22/2018
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

Going ahead with the decision to wear multifocal contact lenses is an individual's preference and choice and is not something that is advocated or highly recommended.

Contact lenses for presbyopia( inability to see near due to receding accommodation ) should only be opted if the individual is absolutely averse to the idea of wearing glasses, has no dry eyes and is well aware of the problems associated with contact lens wear as well as the huge amount of care for lenses and lid hygiene that goes with it.

Once the above criteria are full filled, then comes the type of multifocal lens to be opted for.

For beginner's with small additions for near, aspheric type works well, for moderate concentric is better.

Since you have astigmatism also, you would need toric multifocal lenses. Avoid daily disposable ones. Gas permeable (GP) or hybrid lenses are better than only soft lenses. But these are personal choices which must be made only after trial. Choose the one which fits you the best , is comfortable , gives best clarity of vision.

Here is a link to a site which explains the different types and how to choose-

https://www.clspectrum.com/issues/2014/april-2014/multifocal-lens-decision-making-101

Hope this helps you to take the right decision. Take care.

Do remember to rate this response positively with 5 stars, if it was up to your expectation/satisfaction. A positive rating is the only way to credit the expert for the advice given and for the time spent. Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Regards

Dr.A.S.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** you a 5 star rating.

Thank you for the feedback.

Best wishes and regards

Dr.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist