Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have read the correspondence. I have just developed a

Hi I have read the...
Hi I have read the correspondence. I have just developed a flash at periphery of vision in left eye today- flash appears when I turn my head quickly. Vision otherwise normal. I am 68 and have glaucoma.
One or two floaters in left eye but not excessive.
Unfortunately I live in central Africa and my ophthalmologist is in South Africa and I won't get to see him practically for up to 7 days re admin steps flights etc. is this satisfactory if this is PVD? Thanks for response. Rgds Ed
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Hello Ed,

The occasional flash of light , noticed on turning the head, is very likely to be due to PVD( posterior vitreous detachment). Considering that the vision is both eyes is 20/20 and intraocular pressure(IOP) is well controlled with medication, it does not look like you need any urgent eye exam. Since PVD is a diagnosis of exclusion, it requires a routine dilated eye exam though not urgent. There is no restriction to movement/ climbing up or down the stairs/ travel by flight , for the diagnosis of PVD.

I hope that answers to all your queries.

Thank you and best wishes

Regards

Dr.Desai

Note:Kindly rate the above response with positive rating if you find it satisfactory . This is the only way experts get compensated for their expertise and time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Dr. In terms of describing my status my vision is not 20/20 but very shortsighted at 8+ and 6+ diopter left and right and regards ***** ***** ocular pressure prior to treatment about 3 years ago was 22 and 23 , reduced to 13-14 with medication drops as I recall and while higher than ideal ophthalmologist seemed ok with treatment continuation re current medication- azoptic and xalacom- as on three follow ups situation re sight recorded same performance. I am due a review in any event. So a visit to my ophthalmologist is doubly required in next 7-10 days it seems. Rgds Ed
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please call me - my no is an overseas no +243###-##-####if I must call you please provide no. Rgds Ed

Thank you for the reply and additional information Ed.

If you are wearing correction of +8 and +6 diopters then it is hypermetropia( called as far sightedness). It is usually not associated with any risk of retinal detachment.

IOP control seems fairly good for continuation of medicines.

Unfortunately I cannot provide any international calling number.

However please feel free to reply here anytime and I would be glad to answer to any of your queries in this regard.

Regards

Dr.Desai

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi ok- sorry the + 8 and +6 really means greater than and is - actually as I am very short sighted.
Understand the issue re the phone call.
Key question really is can I wait 7-10 days to see ophthalmologist in South Africa or must I try and go earlier based on my description.
Rgds
Ed

Thank you for the clarification.

Being short sighted makes the risk of a retinal detachment higher.

The decision to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist early would depend on your visual symptoms. A retinal detachment (RD) is also associated with flashes of light with a sudden shower of floaters ( sometimes with a reddish tinge) and foggy vision in one part or the entire vision , as if one were looking through a veil or curtain. This requires urgent eye exam by a retinal surgeon.

However in your case , you do not seem to be having any bout of floaters ( only a few) and no foggy vision as such. So chances are that you are experiencing PVD. In such a case it is alright to get the eye examined after 7-10 days.

Regards

Dr.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist