Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I noticed a few times whilst at the cinema that my 7 year…

Customer Question
I noticed a few...

I noticed a few times whilst at the cinema that my 7 year old son could not see me at all, even sat right next to him, despite the light from the big screen. So I took him for an eye test last week. The optician said there was pigmentation on the whole of his fundus and she wanted to refer him to be seen by an Ophthalmologist to have tests done to rule out Retinitis Pigmentosa. I didn’t want to wait for the referral due to worry so took my son to the eye hospital the next day. The doctor did some tests and it was clear that he struggled with the colour test (think it’s called the Ishari book?) although this peripheral vision and general vision were completely fine. The doctor said he can see the pigmentation, isn’t sure what is causing it and is referring him to a retinal specialist. As you can imagine I am going out of my mind and am an emotional wreck. What I really want to know is, can there be any other diagnoses than RP due to the fact that my son has this mottling together with the night/colour vision issues? I just want it straight because from looking online there seems to be no other reason for his issues than RP. Many thanks for your time.

Doctor's Assistant: When did retinitis pigmentosa begin? Has your son used any medication for it?

He hasn’t been diagnosed at the moment!

Doctor's Assistant: What did he discuss at his last visit to the eye doctor?

I have written all of this above?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in his medical history you think the doctor should know?

We were asked if there was any damily

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/18/2018
Eye Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, particularly among males in your family on your side, have here been others diagnosed with poor night vision or RP?
None whatsoever, as far back as my great great grandparents there has been not a single person have vision issues at all. Same on my husbands side of the family.
Thank you for that information. I am sorry for the amount of stress and concern you must be feeling regarding your son’s condition. Not knowing exactly what the original ophthalmologist saw on your child’s eye exam, everything you described does seem to strongly suggest the possibility of retinitis pigmentosa. The reason I asked about your family history particularly males on your side is because RP can be genetically an x-linked recessive condition. The fact that your child is a boy, and that his original problem involved poor night vision, combined with the increased pigment on retinal exam is very consistent with how RP usually presents. I do agree with the ophthalmologist referring you to a retina specialist. Though I am not aware of any other conditions that can show up with increased retinal pigment and trouble with night vision, this specialist surely will and will be able to make an accurate diagnosis of RP or give you further information on an alternate diagnosis. Please keep in mind and take heart that children are incredibly resilient and that there are newer and better means of treatment for RP then what you might read on the Internet or a medical text. The most important thing is that you are having him fully evaluated at such a young age when whatever the ultimate diagnosis, early treatment and therapy can take hold and have its greatest positive affect. Is there anything else I can help you with or other questions I might be able to answer for you?
I hope I have provided you with helpful information in answering your question. Please let me know if you need anything else. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.