Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I had Strabismus surgery on Monday March 12th and today my…

I had Strabismus surgery...

I had Strabismus surgery on Monday March 12th and today my eye has a blood blister I believe I have pictures I can attach. It starts at the interior of the eye and slightly overlaps the iris. I have been prescribed tobradex drops and also have an ointment but there aren’t any directions for it.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Fine eye is a little scratchy feeling and very red and inflammatory

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing to note

This is my 3rd surgery. The first was at 1 1/2 years of age(both eyes) 2nd was in November of 17’ both eyes outer muscles. 3rd was March 12th Right eye inner and outer .
The surgery at 1 1/2 years was to weaken the inner muscles.The surgery in November of 17’ was to weaken the outer muscles in an effort to make the eyes aligned in the middle of the eye sockets instead of drifting out.
3/18/2018
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Thank you, ***** ***** pertaining to my question was posted last night and can be seen above.
I do not want to switch to a phone call.

Hi.

No problem. I'm typing an answer :-)

Yup. That looks like a blood blister. I would expect it to be basically painless.

You should call your surgeon as she will probably want to drain it

Due to its size the blood blister could cause a dry spot on your cornea which could cause a dellen to form. A dellen is a localized area of corneal thinning due to localized drying of your cornea from the blood blister. The dellen normally resolves once the swelling (in your case the blood blister) resolves.

Here is a (kinda technical) article that discusses dellen:

https://www.nature.com/articles/6702944

By the way, the ointment is probably to be used at bedtime....

So. What should you to?

Call your surgeon and let her know about the blood blister.

She may want to see you tomorrow morning (or maybe even today if someone is available) to have a look at it and possibly drain it.

The good news? In the end everything should be OK.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Thank you for your help today.

I'm glad I could help.

I hope everything goes well with your surgery and your eyes are better aligned. :)