Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am not sure if I should try to go to our emergency room or…

Customer Question
Hello! I am...

Hello! I am not sure if I should try to go to our emergency room or not (since it is late at night here). Here are my symptoms: I had a sudden change in vision in my left eye about minutes ago - there is a fairly sizable crescent shaped area of vision in my left eye that is suddenly like looking through frosted glass or a grey curtain - and it moves from the center of my eye to the lower left portion of my eye. It is not painful, but impedes letting my eyes focus normally - at times I feel like I am cross-eyed when I blink - if I cover that eye my right eye seems normal. What would you suggest I do. I am a Symphonic Musician - a violinist.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I am not in pain

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I wear contact lenses. I took them out as soon as this started. It is no different with my glasses on or off.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Eye
3/17/2018
Eye Doctor: MD Doc, Dr replied 4 months ago
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr

Hi

Welcome to just answer

There can be many causes of sudden loss of painless vision

- your retina might have got detached

- central or branch retinal vein occlusion - blood supply by the main or branches of blood vessel to the eye might have got blocked

TIA - transient ischemic attack

A retina detachment can wait till tomorrow, since it would need surgery which has to be planned. A blood vessel blockage comes under category of emergency. The cause of blockage can be a sudden rise in blood pressure. The treatment again will be done by a retina eye specialist.

TIA is a minor stroke and it does require an ER visit. If you are having dizziness, headache, loss of consciousness or variation in decreased vision of left eye, then definitely it can be TIA and an ER visit is needed.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Regards