Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I was prescribed Triamcinolone Acetonide for my eye. They…

Hi I was prescribed...

Hi I was prescribed Triamcinolone Acetonide for my eye. They thought I had allergies but it was a plugged oil gland. Anyway, I used this above & below my eye and I know I used way to much now that I am reading everything. My forehead and top of head on left side have been itching like crazy. I only used the cream for about 1 to 1-1/2 weeks then stopped thinking that was the problem. I have not used any since last Thursday, but the itching still continues (I think it is subsiding though) and my left side of face is a little swollen but not too noticeable.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

I was wondering if this eventually wears off or what I need to do.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No other skin concerns. I don't think there is anything in medical history that I can think of that he would need to know, I am on no other medication, but take several supplements.

Please do not call me, I am at work and in a room full of people. E-mail is great. Thank you
Actually I just looked at Calendar and I went to redimed on 3/4 start cream then, went to eye dr on 3/5 stopped using cream on 3/8. So I only used it for about 4 days.
I just wanted to let you know that I am off work at 3 pm EST so if I miss the message I will ask again tomorrow.Thank you!
3/14/2018
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

The Triamcinolone Acetonide should suppress any itchiness you might have rather than cause it/make it worse.

There is a slight chance you might be allergic to some of the inert compounds in the cream although, given what you have posted, your continued itching is probably due to something else.

So. What should you do?

Stop all creams/lotions etc. Use only mild soap and water and put cold compresses on the area.

If things don't settle down in a few days you might want to consult with an allergist.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi dr rick thank you for your response. I haven't used the cream for a week now. About how long would it take to get it out of my system? It seems to be getting better. I was afraid i might have caused damaged by using too much of the triamcinolone acetonide cream. I have another dr appt in a week do you think it would be okay if i wait a week to see dr?

It should be well out of your system by now.....

I do not believe you have caused any permanent damage by using the cream.

Yes. You can wait until your appointment.

Thank you so much. Have a good day!

My pleasure :)

Hi Dr RickI just wanted to let you know that your response was so helpful. I was also using eye drops. But since your response from yesterday, I quit using those too. Today is so much better, little itching and little pain. I think that did it!!!!!!Thanks again~

I will let my wife know that I have a non-biased opinion that I am helpful ;-)

Glad to hear you are doing better

LOL :) Have a good one!

thx

Hi Dr. RickIt appears in my e-mail that you were asking how my eye is doing? It is doing much better today. I put lotion on my forehead yesterday and it seems to be doing much better today, no itching. I guess maybe my skin was just really dry. I really appreciate you checking you in on me, that is very thoughtful of you.You have a great day!Thank you so much!!!

I'm glad to hear that you are doing better...thanks for letting me know.

Have a good week

.