Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Is this disorder only about faces or can other types of

Customer Question
Is this disorder only...

Is this disorder only about faces or can other types of objects such as inability to recognize cars, familiar landmarks etc also be included.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

I am visually impaired.roughly speaking, I have about 30% as compared to 20/20. I have always had difficulty recognizing faces, even familiar ones. You can only imagine the social embarrassment that I have lived with all my life. It seems that there are other "deficits" besides low vision that I am experiencing. I can't recognize familiar cars or landmarks. I also have constant issues with imbalance and a feeling of my head swimming. My Dr calls it vertigo. Would all of these difficulties be directly only related to my congenital cataracts and that it was only surgically cut open with no implants done, as a child? I also have eyes that move or juggle back and forth. Im often crushed because all of these things rob me of the important things of life. What kind of answers can you give me. If you can't give me answers can you refer me to another resource? I need help here! This has led me to depression. I want coaching on compensatory methods of management. Drs can't help me.i don't know where to turn to for help

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm always tired. I also suffer from frequent intense tension and sometimes migraine headaches. Many times it's just so much effort to have my eyes open and stay focussed. I've had these conditions for as long as I can remember.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Eye
3/10/2018
Eye Doctor: MD Doc, Dr replied 4 months ago
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr

Hi

Welcome to just answer

I am Dr. Gupta and would like to answer your questions in parts

- the juggling back and forth of eye, called nystagmus, along with congenital cataract in both eyes indicates that you have compromised vision from childhood. The actual vision of a person depends on the status of the optic nerve of the eye (nerve going from eye to brain) and also how developed is your retina, where the vision is formed. Putting an intraocular lens or not depends on the power of your eyes preoperatively. If an informed decision was taken by your surgeon to not implant a lens when cataract surgery was done, then it would have been done keeping in mind the postoperative required power.

Regarding the options you cab have. One of the options is to have low vision aids. These help specially in studying or near vision work. You can also consult your eye surgeon if there is any benefit of implanting an intraocular now.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is appreciated. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Regards