Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question for a professional eye doctor. May I ask…

Customer Question
Hello I have a...

Hello I have a question for a professional eye doctor. May I ask my question?

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

The Hz rate of my laptop screen stopped working and I didn't realized that I was looking at a flickering LED screen. Now I see a postive afterimage of this screen everywhere I look and even when I close my eyes. It doesn't interfere with my vision but I see the blinking pixels constantly, in the dark it is more noticeable. I also have headache and oculair migraine from this. My eyes hurt and are sore. The pixelated vision started slowly and I wasn't aware that it was from my laptop screen. Now I bought a new laptop and I am giving my eyes a rest. Will these effects resolve themselves or did I brought damage to my eyes by looking to a constantly flickering broken LED screen?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I think my screen is broken since the first week of february and that is how long I looked at this LED screen.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

yes, these effects will resolve themselves.

you did not do permanent damage to your eyes

you need to rest your eyes away from the computer screen.

Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

My name is***** and I am an ophthalmologist.

Good news!

You did not damage your eyes at all by using that broken screen

Everything will be fine and your eyes will be back to normal very soon.

No treatment needed.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Eye Doctor: MD Doc, Dr replied 4 months ago
MD Doc
MD Doc, Dr

Hi

Welcome to just answer.

Could you be specific regarding the answers you are looking for -

- do you want to know whether is any permanent damage to your eye?

- the treatment?

- or prevention?

Regards

The effect of the screen, the twinkling pixels with a low refresh rate is burned in my eyes, because when I look around it is like I see the world through this effect 24h a day in the background, I can see it everywhere, it is more noticeable on white backgrounds. I see everything clear and my sight is good, but it is like I see through this moving blinking LED monitor. I also see it when my eyes are closed. Is this from my eyes or my brain? When I focus long enough or when I try to sleep I see the same purple aura's in both eyes and when I a opening my eyes I see the aura too. My eye muscles hurt etc I have headache.I have afterimages that last long...It is like a persistent visual aura, which gets worser when I focus long enough (when eyes are closed or I stare long)Since a few days I am giving my eyes a rest but it is still not over. So I am really concerned.When will this be over, did I damaged my eyes or brain because I worked on this default screen for 3 weeks? What is the treatment?

What you are experiencing seems like negative afterimage. This occurs if there is over-stimulation of cells (rods and cones) in the retina of the eye. Retina is responsible for the main vision of the eye. If the stimulus is removed, then these after -mages decrease slowly with time without any lasting damage. If your symptoms are slowly decreasing with time, then they should resolve in next few days

But if these symptoms are persistent, then you might have something called Palinopsia. In this again, the symptoms are same as negative after image, but they do not resolve with time. In such cases, usually there is an underlying cause like migraine, prescribed drugs, head trauma or unknown cause. In these cases, medicines can be started depending on the severity.

I would recommend you to wait if the symptoms are decreasing. But if they are not, then you need to consult an ophthalmologist for a detailed evaluation

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Regards

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is appreciated. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you