Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Dr rick please

....
Dr rick please .
3/7/2018
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Good morning :)

Good morning dr rick:) I am so glad you are here . I've clarified about the spitting with my eye doctor today . As I was already in the hospital visiting a psychologist for my anxiety , after giving my anti anxiety medication I went to the eye doc . She says it's multiple lattice and it's benign . I need not worry just get it checked once a year . But I am so confused and of course anxious . My eye has been examined by multiple doctors all have said my eye is fine . When I went for my dilated exam in December the retinal surged on told me there is some retinal thinness so jay get it checked once In a whole but he said there's no point in doing laser because it'll backfire since there's no need to do so . My first reaction was am I going to go blind ? And his frat reaction was who said that !?
Anyways , after that my eyes have been checked through a slit lamp . Both have said my eyes are fine . My eye pressure test in October was also okay eye movement test also okay . Number hasn't increased in years . In fact , number has dropped in one eye . I hope this is nothing more than having a side ref to of high myopia. I keep thinking that by the time I am 40-50 I won't have eyes lol.

"retinal thinness" is sometimes retinadoctalk for lattice ;-) Nothing to worry about.

Your eyes should work well for you up until the moment you take your last breath.

Sounds like is going well.

Make sense?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Whut! That's it ! Woah . Then why is it called degeneration when it's not even something serious ? Misleading title ? ans then why does google qualify it as a disease ? Anyways a a person who's prone to floaters , not too many but yeah sure I get them in day time and occasional flashes with rapid eye movement sometimes , and as someone who has high myopia , what precautions should I take ?

Did you talk to The Evil Dr. Google again???? What did we discuss bout this? lol!

There are no precautions you need to take. Your vitreous has most likely come free of your retina by now so your risk of a retinal tear has decreased a lot.....

Your retina is fine and so are you. ;-)

Have a good day.

I'm gettin the stink eye from my head technician....gotta get back to my day job.

Have a good one...

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Thanks doctor as always . So kind of you ! And just as an advice I think eye doctors should from all the world remove the word latice degeneration from a condition which is benign . Degeneration implies negative and scary consequences . Not to mention it's an intimidating word .

I'll see what I can do :)

On a serious note , thank you so much .
Also , I am having some facial pain . I think it's probably a dental thing . So I am having some jaw pain , facial muscle tension and some tension behind the eye . Is the eye a source of this ? Or is it the dental pain or condition causing that illusion ? Looking giraffe to hear from you .
Looking forward * lol giraffe

Doesn't sound like it is from the eye.....glad your going to a dentist. ;)

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Doctor rick , I cannot stop thinking about that lattice thing ! I wish I had never gone to the dilated eye exam test! A doctor has told me that a risk of getting RD from lattice is just less than 1 percent . 99 percent of the times it doesn't amount to anything . And in most cases lattice is an accidental finding . Is the chance of it growing or progressing also the same ?
Is it because of having weak eyes! My eye doctor told me that this is just a weak area that can even be found in normal eyes . But somehow I keep thinking that I have been cursed with a bad eye ! :(
At te risk of sounding absurd or immature maybe , I wish I had never known about this :(

The lattice is, really, nothing to worry about at all. Is is not a sign of weak eyes.

Lattice is found in billions of eyes.

You have not been cursed with a bad eye. Promise :-)

Yeah . Seems like the anti anxiety medication worked cuz I actually I am not worried about this lol . Anyways , just out of curiosity is this inherited it acquired ?
Or acquired *

kinda both......depends.

I see . Both my parents have power but my mother has more of it including presbyopia. One is 6/6 and one is 6/36 and reading for both . But she has never gone through an dilated exam. And I've completely gone on her . I am 99 percent her

Yup.....your mom needs to see an ophthalmologist for a dilated eye exam -- keep hounding her ;)

I'll see how that works out. But her eye has also been checked two days back . Just has conjunctivital pigmentation . Right now the plan is not to go to hospitals since I've been so freaked out about my health . So she'll go with me now when I go to the eye doc . She has categorically told me to quit obsessing over something which is not harmful and shouldn't be perceived as so
But it's not urgent is it ?

nope....just everyone needs a dilated eye exam ;)

Yeah true . Anyways , thanks doc . So much !
How many times in a year is a dilated exam recommended ?

once a year

Thank you !!!!
Oh just one more question ... is there really a less than one percent chance of it progressing? Because I've been told that on most of the cases it's an accidental finding and most people don't even come to know why have it
They have it *

It is not an accidental finding....I see them everyday but retina is what I do ;)

But you are right....most don't know they have lattice.

Accidental in the sense that it's asymtomatic and benign so most people don't go in checking for a lattice they just come to know they have it . So that's why I was asking that if the chance of it progressing is really less than one percent?

That would be a valid statement.....

Great . Thanks ! My retinal surgeoun told me that I should go in for an eye exam dilated one every three to four months . Isn't that too much :( . It's a torturous exam

After a PVD every 4 months for the first year is not unreasonable.....

He didn't write PVD on the report tho. Aren't I a bit young for that?
But just in case isn't PVD a normal process ? Do I have it?
I have looked at the repeat it says , multiple laxative and no holes and tears that's it. I've just had my eyes checked five days back do I need to go back again?

Time for a new thread :-)

Ohhh okaaay

:)