Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My doctor, Dr. Destro, ordered a replacement glaucoma eye…

My doctor, Dr. Destro...

My doctor, Dr. Destro, ordered a replacement glaucoma eye drop for dozolamide. It was Azopt which costs over $200.00. I can't afford that. Is there anything else less expensive.

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

I had it checked last week. The vision hasn't changed and the pressues is good.

Answered in 1 day by:
3/7/2018
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It depends on what other glaucoma drops you are using but....Yes. There are less expensive drops that might work even better than azopt to lower your pressure. Generic latanoprost is one of them....

But your doctor, who knows your and your glaucoma best, ***** ***** azopt for a reason.

So. What should you do?

I suggest you let Dr. Destro know that you can't afford azopt. She might be able to give you samples, have the drug company give you free or discounted medicine or switch you to something else.

Glaucoma is a irreversible, blinding disease. Not something you should mess around with on your own. It is important to use your drops as directed....but I am sure that I am preaching to the choir here.....

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD