Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have been experiencing floaters, irritated eyes. I have…

I have been experiencing floaters...
I have been experiencing floaters , irritated eyes. I have been to the eye doctor a month ago. ( dilated eyes etc ) everything fine. The past couple of weeks I have been experiencing these small white thing coming out of my eyes. I had a CT scan and they found a lot of mucus in the spenhoid sinus . Taking meds. I also have Lyme disease ( symptoms improving )Take IV vitamin C and cefdinrCan the vitamin C or the sinus infection be causing this ?
There almost smal white sand. .. odd and annoying
2/19/2018
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai , eye expert and certified ophthalmologist.

The sudden onset of floaters is very likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment(PVD). It is an age related change in the vitreous gel present at the back of the eye. It does not require any urgent treatment. A routine dilated eye exam is sufficient to look for retinal holes , if any, in the periphetal retina.

As for the sand like white particles coming out of the eye, they are not due to vitamin C or sinus infection. It could be due to severe meibomian gland dysfunction(MGD). These glands are modified sebaceous glands which may get inflamed and result in altered secretion , either thick cheesy or gritty. Try giving warm compresses for 10 minutes, thricr a day for about 3 to 4 weeks. Lid massage also helps. Use lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day.

Increase intake of omega 3 fatty acids such as in fish and flax seeds.

Hope this helps.

Have a good day and best wishes.

Thank you

Regards

Dr.Desai

Do remember to rate this response with 5 stars if you found it to your satisfaction.

It’s not drastic. And I have the same floaters I had when I seen the eye doctor last month .. he said to come back if it’s drastic. This is more irration and these white things
They whole post did not come up. I’m going to try these suggestions. As I have been to so many doctors on this journey of Lyme. I just don’t want to anymore lol. Can this have anything to do with Lyme ? And this doesn’t sound like anything urgent what I’m telling you ?
The whole post did not come at first. Sorry for the first post.
Is this helpful as well? With your other suggestions?

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Tha eye drop in the image is more of an eye irrigation solution which can be used to give an eye wash. It is better to use artificial tear drops as suggested earlier.

Yes, it does seem to be urgent regarding the floaters considering that they are not drastic. Urgent care is needed if the floaters appear like a sudden shower with or without reddish hue along with curtain or veil covering part of vision.

So nothing to worry as of now I guess.

The Lymd disease is not related to floaters or the whitish discharge.

Best wishes

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Thank you !