Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

A recent pair of reading glasses just doesn't seem "right".

A recent pair of reading...
A recent pair of reading glasses just doesn't seem "right". Many years ago I had a similar problem, and I was told that there are two ways of grinding lenses (I don't recall the exact detail maybe grinding from the front instead of the back) and that my eyes were accustomed to one method and did not do well with lenses ground by the other.Does this make sense ? If so what's the difference in the grinding process ?Thanks.
Bob
1/21/2018
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Bob,

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

How long have you had these glasses?

Are they bifocals, trifocals or progressive reading glasses?

Or are the single vision glasses only used for close work and not for distance at all?

Do you have a copy of your old glasses Rx and your current (Bad) glasses Rx?

Have you had any eye surgery?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

The glasses are a few weeks old. Single vision. Prescription attached. I've a cataract surgery. No meds.I did get a response from a free online answering service confirming that astigmatism correction may be ground on front or back of lens and if you are used to one method it's hard to adapt to the other.Thanks

Thank you for that additional information and a copy of the Rx.

You are correct about the grinding process.

The difference is just like it sounds. One type has the glass ground on the front and one process has it ground on the back.

So. What should you do?

Find out if the current glasses that you don't like are ground on the front or the back.
Order new glasses made the other way....

Hopefully that solve your problem :)

Make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD