Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter has been to the optician and he has referred her…

My daughter has been...

My daughter has been to the optician and he has referred her to eye specialist at hospital .. he says the optic nerve was blurry! I’ve googled it and now convinced it’s sinister!

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Have you been having any headaches?

She has had a couple over a 6 week period .. some eyebrow pain.. we were referred on 29th December appointment next week

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

We are a family of migraine sufferers

1/15/2018
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Have you been having any headaches?

She has had a couple over a ... view full

read it ;)

Do not talk to The Evil Dr. Google.

And an optician is not really trained enough to evaluate the optic nerve for blurry edges/swelling.
How old is your daugther?

Would you say she is obese?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

12, she is very athletic and slim..

Ok.

As a father of five, 3 of them daughters, I would not put much, if any, stock in what the optician has to say about your daughters optic nerves.

Do not panic.

Do not search the internet on this topic unless you want to be scared to death.....none of it applies to your daughter.

I give it 99.997% chance of being nothing and only due to the opticians inability to know anything about the variations in normal optic nerve morphology.

Might as well keep the ophthalmologist appointment just for your peace of mind....but go calmly to the visit.

Ok?

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
If it was ICP it something like a tumour would there be much more aggressive symptoms ? Google have convinced me it papiledma

It would be in both eyes, other symptoms....now you see why you don't want to go to the Evil Dr. Google ;)

It is in both eyes apparently ..
He did say her field vision test was fine and he wasn’t hugely concerned
but I am!
Do you still think it’s nothing to concern myself with?