Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have a rash coming on my face and into my left eye, Pain…

I have a rash...

I have a rash coming on my face and into my left eye, Pain and burning from the rash and now looks like it is forming on my hairline at scalp, My left eye watering and feel like shocks in optic nerve area, running nostril on left side and was wonder if this is shingles, I had chicken pox as a child. Scared may be more serious.

Doctor's Assistant: Did you have a recent injury to the eye? How is your vision?

Ok...And no injury.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No..been pretty healthy for the most part.

1/14/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-eye specialty)

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Could you please post a photo of that for me on this page?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Having hard time getting picture from phone to e-mail.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you just tell me what you suspect it is

Can you describe it for me?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a rash on my face, Looks like bumpy rash, feels burning and numb pain, started in my left eye like watering and then like a abrasion type pain around eyelid, swollen upper eye lid, face around rash feels numb rash area feels burning, Like chemical burn, Have had chicken pox as a child was wondering if this could be shingles, looks like now rash forming at hairline area of forehead.

That definitely sounds like shingles and since it's seeming to involve your eye you need to see your doctor right away for two prescriptions--one for acyclovir tablets and the other for either acyclovir eye drops or eye ointment

While I wouldn't consider this an emergency you need to have your doctor check this out just as soon as possible

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you prescribe this for me if I use the phone and then I can send a picture.

Sorry, no--we don't do prescriptions here since that would be both illegal and malpractice

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if I don't go to a doctor do you think it will be ok, I don't have a family doctor that I can just go see. I would have to go to urgent care.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Or do I need to go there?

Shingles does resolve on it's own without treatment but my concern is your eye--untreated that might actually affect your vision

So I'd strongly suggest you go do urgent care

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also I read do not take aspirin if it is shingles, Why would that be bad?

Aspirin taken with shingles could cause something called Reye's syndrome which can cause liver damage and even convulsions

Tylenol is fine for the pain

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I will go to Urgent care. Thanks!

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-eye specialty)