Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I need to talk to an Opthmologist. I haven’t seen any

I need to talk...

I need to talk to an Opthmologist

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No, i haven’t seen any doctors, i just saw. a sudden dark floater in my eye and i need advice

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

Fine, my vision has been slowly Getting worse in terms of reading, and i’ve always had floaters, but this one seems different. darker.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My father has Glaucoma, he is 90and completely blind. i’ve been tested for glaucoma before and nothing

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
anyone there?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I a, concerned that it is a detached retina, and does that mean i need to go to the emergency room?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
now i am seeing flashing light every few minutes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the flashing light is in an arc
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they are both in The right eye
1/14/2018
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I'm on call this weekend and it has been crazybusy :(

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, or a decrease in your vision that doesn't improve in a few minutes this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I only do this procedure to remove floaters in extreme cases.

In January 2013 a new drug, called Ocriplasmin, was approved by the FDA to dissolve vitreous strands in a particular eye condition called vitreomacular traction. Perhaps someday this drug could be used to also remove floaters…. Only time will tell.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the specific very dark floater is still there, and so intense that it seems i could actually grab it with my hand. the flashes are now constant. it is Sunday morning. When you say see an ophthalmologist “promptly” do you mean the emergency room or can i wait a few days? if it is detachment does every hour count?
Also: could this have anything to do with Glaucoma? As i said earlier, my father has it and is no2 completely blind.

An exam by an ER doctor will be of no value.

That being said, many ERs have an ophthalmologist on call who can come in and examine your retina.

No. This has nothing to do with glaucoma....

And, yes, if you have a retinal detachment, the sooner it is treated the better.

But floaters and flashes do not mean your retina is detaching....

if you notice a shadow coming across your vision from any direction this could be your retina coming off.....

So. What is the take home message?

In a perfect world it would be good for you to see an Eye MD today with the extensive flashes you are experiencing. That being said, if you just take it easy seeing an ophthalmologist tomorrow morning (do not put this off) should be fine.

Make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
one last question. what is the difference between floaters and a shadow? i have floaters but this specific floater looks different, like i said, denser. Does that mean it’s a shadow?

A shadow is like you are closing a shade across your vision. A floater moves around like a blob

Floaters come in all shapes and sizes and can even change.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my birthday is ***** and i was going to go away overnight to celebrate it. should i cancel so that i can see someone tomorrow or can it wait until Wed. or Thursday? Do hours make a difference? this i think is my most important question! then i’m done.

You should cancel and see an ophthalmologist (Eye MD, not an optometerist) tomorrow morning.

I really, really would not wait until Wednesday.

Sorry about your birthday plans....

See the pretty Excellent feedback button? Don't be afraid. Give it a little push. You'll like it.....Trust me, I'm a Doctor ;)

Happy birthday anyway!

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD