Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I saw a retina specialist( exam was normal) but since the…

Hi, I saw a...

Hi, I saw a retina specialist( exam was normal) but since the exam I have pain in my eye, as if a shard is stuck in it. I have had 2 exams since by other Drs. in that practice. They examined it closely. Only saw irritation, felt cornea must have been scratched during exam. First Dr. gave me tobradex and wanted me to patch it. I did not tolerate the tobradex. Second Dr. ordered prolensa and lotrimex. I used both yesterday, the pain went away, but my eye felt like a ball of cotton was in it. Thank goodness that went away overnight, but sadly the original discomfort is back, it also feels like something is stuck in the sclera. I didn't put the steroid drop in last night as pain was gone and I felt the eye filling like it had something in it all over was from the drops. So, my dilemna, this morning, do I put in the two drops? I cannot believe it has been 5 days since the damage was done and I have no improvement.. I have a feeling if my regular Dr. were in town, he would have told me to use over the counter Systane. I did buy blink as it has less ingredients, but wasn't sure if I should add that to the mix.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

As I just wrote, 5 days and as I also wrote, the drops made it better but caused other SX

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, this was an error at the office during the exam, either the glaucoma test(which is what they think) or the Dr. while pushing on my sclera to examine the retina caused this

I am frightened to put more drops in as this feeling like something is in the sclera is new and I am concered it is from the drops....I am truly at a loss now, my Drs. keep telling me I will feel better in a few days, it is not happening, which worries me that I will feel like this forever
Should i just try the artificial tears?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/13/2018
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Thank you for the question. I am Dr.A.S.Desai, certified ophthalmologist and I look forward to answering this question.

If it is only a scratched cornea, I don't see the necessity of any of these eye drops. All you would need is artificial eye drops and patching of the eye for 24 hours. If it is truly a scratched cornea alone, then this treatment is more than enough. If pain and watering persists beyond 3-4 days of artificial tears and patching, then it is better to go back to your eye doctor for a closer look. However there is no need for steroid eye drops for scratched cornea.

My opinion is only based on your post findings. Please remember that your doctor might have seen something else in the eye such as eye inflammation for which he might have given the steroid eye drops. So I guess he is the best person to give you a proper advise on what eye drops are needed.

If adding artificial tears is the dilemma, then go ahead and put them as they would not interfere with the other eye drops but rather relieve the foreign body sensation.

Hope this helps you to take the right decision. Take care.

Do remember to rate this response positively if it was up to your expectation/satisfaction. Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Regards

Dr.A.S.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Thank-you. I feel like something is stuck in the sclera. It is driving me crazy. I think when he poked my eyelid( checking my retina) he poked too hard and caused the corneal inflammation, but what could the feeling that something is in it mean. I am starting to worry this will be permanent