Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I think I have pink eye. I had a vision check in August.

Customer Question
I think I have...

I think I have pink eye

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

I had a vision check in August. Today my right eye was blurry like a coating on it... and when I rubbed it, it didn't clear up.. it got worse as the day went and it is red and it had yellow stuff in the corner

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/12/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It sounds like you have viral conjunctivitis, also called pink eye. As this is caused by a virus no antibiotics are necessary as they only treat bacteria, not viruses. You should use cold compresses and natural tears as often as you want to soothe your eyes. This infection usually runs its course in two weeks or so.

This is because pink eye is caused by a virus and just has to run its course. It may spread to your other eye. This is very common and is nothing to worry about.

You should use cold compresses and natural tears as often as you want to soothe your eyes. Bion tears is very good brand name but any artificial tears will work just fine.

It is also very contagious so make sure to wash your hands well, don't share towels etc. It is likely that other members of your household will catch this.....But not to worry, in the vast majority of cases the infection resolves without any residual effects.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS