Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I had blood in one eye for over 5 weeks, I been treated for…

Customer Question
I had blood in...

I had blood in one eye for over 5 weeks, I been treated for dry eye but to no t avail

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

This week I had an extended examination and every thing is normal

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a acute angle attack years ago consequently I had laser treatment .

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/11/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

where is the blood?

How old are you?

How is your vision in that eye?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

I m 87 in good health, the blood is in the inside corner,high blood pressure under control by Bethany blocker

Thank you for that additional information.

You have experienced a sub conjunctival hemorrhage, a common event that occurs to many people.

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD