Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have been seen by both Ophthalmologists & Neurologists but…

I have been seen...

I have been seen by both Ophthalmologists & Neurologists but have not had satisfactory answers.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you experienced any changes or blurriness in your vision? Eye pain? Are your eyes dry or bloodshot?

Ophthalmologist says that there is nothing wrong with my eyes and as I have been having double & triple vision in both eyes - even when I shut each eye in turn - and that it must be a neurological problem; the Neurologist said it was a "migraine with aura but without headache". Sorry, I keep hitting the return button and it puts it up before I have finished.

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

Again - sorry! When I go out like tonight all the street lights appear in triple tiers (like an electric fire) but ordinary signs and registration number plates appear normal;. The lights are normal when we first approach them, then they become double and then, probably five cars away, they become triple; doesn't matter if I shut either eye, they stay the same. Had it the whole 1hr we were driving out to place; we then had meal and on way back, noticed they were normal again.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

This happens all the time; the doctors don't seem worried but I am worried that I could end up blind and someone say "you should have come to us earlier". Last time, I was seen was four months ago when I got posterior vitreous detachment in left eye so they checked me completely out but still said I was fine. I have type II diabetes (metformin now 1kg a day) plus I have Sarcoidosis in remission but Neurologist said there was nothing to show that it was related to Sarc.

It is now 24 hours since I submitted my question.
Answered in 1 day by:
1/12/2018
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It does not make any physiologic or optical sense that you have triple vision with both eyes open that persists when you have one eye (either one) open too.

To tell you the truth this sounds like a psychological issue rather then a physical problem with your eyes or your brain. This is even more likely given the excellent ophthalmology and neurological care you have recently had.

At this point I believe your next step should be to consult with a psychiatrist.

What have you got to loose....other then your symptoms?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
I note what you have suggested; however, as mentioned, the lights straightened up after eating/drinking; as I am Type II Diabetic, think my next stage has to be to follow this side up before going to a psychiatrist. But thank you for confirming that it is very unlikely to be a optical problem eg cataracts (which I thought I had all the symptoms for - just surprised that it seems to come & go). Thank you for trying to help.

My pleasure.

I hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD