Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I went to optometrist today and he told me that my left eye…

I went to optometrist...

I went to optometrist today and he told me that my left eye is 2100

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

He could not get any correction for that eye at all last checked was 18 months ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was diagnosed with ascending thoracic aortic aneurysm last February, but not big enough yet to operate on. I have uncontrolled hypertension, high cholesterol

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/11/2018
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

How old are you?

Did he have an idea what was going on?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am 63 years old. Last February found out I have an ascending thoracic aortic aneurysm which is not yet at size to operate on. I do have hypertension which is not well controlled and have high cholesterol. No other health issues.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Only medications are hydrocodone for sciatic pain and Metaxalone for muscle spasms.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had cataract surgery on both eyes about 18 months ago, no problems.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The optometrist said that he checked my retina for any possible burst capillaries or blood collectors by dilating eyes, but nothing. He is recommending seeing a retina specialist.

Thank you for that additional information.

You might have a cloudy posterior capsule behind your artificial lens. This is very common.

This can be fixed with a simple, quick and painless laser treatment at your ophthalmologists office.

So. What should you do?

I suggest you make an appointment for a complete eye exam at your ophthalmologists (Eye Surgeon) office before running off to a retina specialist.

In my 30 years experience as a retina specialist I have learned that most optometrist have no idea what they are looking at when it comes to the retina.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He checked the capsules of both eyes and only the right eye needs a follow up YAG laser cleanup. The left is perfectly fine. So, has to be something else.

Thanks for that data.

I would still have a ophthalmologist have a look before going to a retina doc. Most retina docs (myself included ) are backed up at least 3 weeks or more.

In any event you should have an Eye MD look at your eye and your retina.

Make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD