Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Why would someone's eye swell when they exercise? My son's…

Customer Question
Why would someone's eye...

Why would someone's eye swell when they exercise? My son's left eye (only) does this when he runs. He is currently in basic training and is hoping it doesn't discharge him.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No. It started around April/May 2017. I thought it was from haircare products and him sweating it into his eye. However, he has no hair right now. It only does it when he runs really hard.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. He's 19

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Eye
1/8/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Has he ever had any history of asthma or allergies or eczema?

If you still need help with this please let me know.

Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

There are number of reason why this might happen.

Your son should try to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist when his eye is swollen, or maybe exercise on a treadmill so the doctor can see it happen.

Another option would be to take a movie showing the swelling as it is occurring.

In a nutshell, this sort of thing is very unusual but it is possible. As such it would need a good MD to figure it out.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

PS: My oldest son is in the Army just deployed last week for the next 9 months. He did his basic at Ft. Benning, Ga.