Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am 73 years old and in good health, take no pills and see…

Customer Question
I am 73 years...

I am 73 years old and in good health, take no pills and see no doctors. Haven't had my eyes checked for 20 years. Friday I had them checked. No Glaucoma and slight development of cataracts. However I had some retinal bleeding. The doctor told me to have a check up to see if I am diabetic, etc. My blood pressure was 132 over 83. Usually lower. Question - Is my condition common for someone 73. Is there really a need to be concerned? I believe my condition might be from lifting weights over the last 50 years.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Take no medicines for 73 years. Was drinking wine for 5 years and my skin on backers broke out with sores last spring. Went to doctor and they Triamcinolone. Googled around and found sulfites in wine could be the problem. Quit drinking wine and sores all gone. Kind of thinking sulfites could be the cause of the hemorrhaging. I never take medicine otherwise.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Fell a few times on the ice over the years. Did not hit my head. Feel strain of weight lifting could be problem. Had a kidney stone 30 years ago. Have a degenerated lower disk. I believe I eat correctly for the most part, salads, sourdough bread, fam beef and chicken etc. Very healthy. Never wore glasses although suggested since childhood. Haven't even had the flu for10 years or more, maybe once in twenty years. Have clean air and well water here in North Central Wisconsin. Had hives maybe 30 years ago. That is my medical history - nothing else. Have seen no doctor in twenty years and take no pills. No allergies.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

definitely could be from lifting weights

that is possible

when you lift heavy weight you do get a huge increase in blood pressure

do you lift heavy?

I use to lift kind of heavy, 125 over my head, 200 squat. Keep lifting twice a week for 50 years staring at about age 18. As I grew older I have lifted less and less. Still doing 80 lb deadlifts and one leg squats with 25 lbs. Thinking lately this is too much. Cutting weight to very little as of now. Should I be concerned about the hemorrhaging?

Yes, you do need to have this worked up

is your primary doctor an internist?

just click send to reply

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist