Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

What is a safe dose of plaquenil for an 130 pound woman? Is…

Customer Question
What is a safe dose...
What is a safe dose of plaquenil for an 130 pound woman? Is it a risky drug? I am likely going to be in it for less than a year but afraid to risk my vision. I have had a baseline eye exam which was fine. I do however have some minor prior optic nerve swelling and retinal fiber thinning from a severe infection as a child. More are very minor (only seen on OCT scan) and do not cause vision problems. Is plaquenil an okay medication for me?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Eye
1/6/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

I would like to ask few details regarding your symptoms/question to assist you more efficiently.

What is the indication?

SLE?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is going to be pried with another medication for a resistant malaria infection. Likely less than 5mo.

Thank you.

The dose is 200 to 400 mg daily as a single daily dose or in 2 divided doses for rheumatological diseases like lupus.

Due to the risk of retinal toxicity, it is recommended not to exceed a daily dose 400 mg.

For Malaria the dose in chemoprophylaxis is 6.5 mg/kg once weekly (maximum: 400 mg/dose) on same day each week, This is a very low dose as far as retinal side effects are concerned.

Therefore you need not to worry about retinal side effects, especially given the fact that a baseline exam for eye is normal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does my abnormal OCT scan complicate this? Could I have retinal issues in less than 6 mo?

No.

Least likely to have any retinal issues in 6 months. Or even longer given the fact that dose is very low.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you. I have heard that damage can continue even after stopping the medication. Should I be corned with this?

In most of the cases, if this happens, it is reversible completely if picked up early.

So if you experience any visual complaints while you are taking this drug, report this immediately to your doctor. But hopefully this will not happen.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor