Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Explain "night blindness" in older drivers. I experience…

Customer Question
Explain "night blindness" in...

Explain "night blindness" in older drivers. I experience glare, halos, and absolute inability to see curbs etc. What type of things can be done to glasses to help in this matter? Is there and anti reflective coating on the lenses, or anything else an ophlamologist should be asked about needing for a special pair of "night glasses"?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No. I plan to see a physician soon to have my eyes and prescription checked. Do you really want to see the list of meds I take?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Synthroid , I'm bi-polar so I take lamictal, lexapro,seroquel, clonazopam all of which I was taking before I experienced this "night blindness. It seemed to accure and worsen with age

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Eye
1/6/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 1 month ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

How old are you?

how long has this been going on?

How is your vision during the day?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm 67yrs of age I have no vision problems during the day. There were no vision problems obvious upon my last exam a year ago, i.e. cataracts, macular degeneration, etc except for the "night blindness". I should have mentioned it to the physician, but I thought incorrectly that it could be helped with those yellow lensed glasses which I have found out since only makes the glare worse .
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just want to understand the physics behind the problem, light, lens, etc., not my personal experience.

Ya...the yellow lenses really don't work.

Anyway, there are many causes of night blindness and I would strongly suggest you have a complete eye exam and testing by a retina specialist including Vitamin A level testing, before you just accept this issue....

Also, normally, there are no special "night glasses" that help with night blindness....

So. What is the take home message?

In my opinion you need a more comprehensive workup.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD