Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

What are the stages of glaucoma? I have seen at least two…

What are the stages of...
What are the stages of glaucoma? I have seen at least two lists online as though they are redefining things. I moved and went to a new specialist. He said I have Stage 4 Glaucoma. Is that the worst stage or is there another stage after it?I know I am really advanced. I should have asked him but it was an aside note from the doctor to a technician and I didn't think to ask until later.Thank you
Jeff
1/5/2018
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Hello Jeff,

We do not have staging for glaucoma but rather types of glaucoma. Glaucoma is broadly classified into open angle and closed angle glaucoma. Earlier there was a staging for angle closure glaucoma depending on the severity of closure. There is a possibility that the eye doctor who examined you might have been referring to angle closure glaucoma.

I would be more concerned if the vision was deteriorating or the visual fields were worsening or the intraocular pressure was not well controlled.

I am sure your eye doctor too would have looked into the same parameters and treated accordingly. So nothing to worry as long as you are in the safe hands of your ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Thank you. I must have misunderstand something that was said.