Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am having second vitrectomy done to remove left over gel.

Would this decrease the future...
I am having second vitrectomy done to remove left over gel. Would this decrease the future bleeding from occurring?
1/4/2018
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I am a retina surgeon.

How old are you?

When was your first vitrectomy?

Why was it done?

Have you had your resulting cataract removed yet?

Why do you need this second vitrectomy? A pars plana vitrectomy should have removed all the necessary vitreous the first time around.....

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

I am 49. First vitrectomy was done on 3/23/17. Keep having rebleed. I have retinopathy.

Thank you for that additional information.

I would expect that your surgeon will do additional endolaser during this vitrectomy (actually a wash out at this point...). She will probably also do extensive anterior cryo in an attempt to get any vessels that might be bleeding near pars plana (the edge of your retina).

She might also consider injecting either avastin, lucentis or eyelea.

Basically....pulling out all the stops to get these bleeding episodes to end.....

After all this is done then, yes, future rebleeds should be stopped.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I wish you the very best.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
What would steroids do during the eye wash surgery? Thank you

Steroids might be injected at the end of the surgery to decrease inflammation and swelling. I normally use a long acting, potent steroid such as kenalog in these situations.