Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Last Sat. around 12 noon, I experienced a "spell". I am 71,

Customer Question
Last Sat. around 12...

Last Sat. around 12 noon, I experienced a "spell". I am 71, on NO medication. I felt very dizzy, lightheaded and started to tremble..inside and out. I sat down to eat when my husband asked me if I was ok. Before I could answer, my sister also asked the same question. I shook my head no. They got me to a bed. My husband, being diabetic took my Blood Sugar, it was 51. My sister, a former RN took my BP, it was 150/86. They immediately gave me about an ounce of eggnog and a Halo tangerine. A couple of hours later, my Blood Sugar was up to 91. I asked my sister why she questioned me. She said she was afraid I may be having a stroke that I had a blank stare in my eyes and was not responding. I was not able to pick my fork to my mouth, that I was leaning down toward it. Any idea of what may be going on?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take no prescription meds at all. I do take an occasional Ibuprophen, 2 garlic tablets, 1 eye vitamin, 1 vitamin D daily.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No...I do not smoke, have been smoke free for 15 years. I rarely have a drink of anything. Maybe on glass of wine every 2 months. In 1974 I had a major blood clot after my C-section. No problems in all of these years. This is on my record. I have in the last 15 years had 2 rotator cuff repairs and both hips replaced. Fully recovered from all. I am allergic to tetanus and have not had a shot since 1951-I stopped breathing. 3 years ago, I was advised not to take anymore flu shots due to a reaction. I haven't taken one on 2 yrs. Virtually, I am or thought I was pretty healthy. I have gained weight this past year..but that is a problem I have already faced and am now that the holidays are past, making this my #1 goal for the year. I do not plan to go on any major diet...but make healthy changes and eat less.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Eye
1/3/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (non-eye specialty) replied 1 month ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (non-eye specialty)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

Just to reconfirm; you do not take any anti diabetic medications (You mentioned you are on no prescription medications)?

Were you eating properly before this episode?

Was there any unaccustomed activity?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had overindulged the 2 days before. However, for breakfast that morning, I had 2 pc. uncured bacon and 1 egg, along with 1 cup of coffee w/1 tsp. pure un refined sugar and 1 tsp. Half n Half. I was trying to eat a salad for lunch.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Your blood sugar was too low. This can explain your symptoms. But this need investigation to ascertain the cause as this may recur. You need full hormonal panel which entail thyroid, adrenal, prolactin, insulin, glucagon etc.

You may also need a color doppler study of neck arteries (carotid arteries) for the evaluation of your symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Happy new year 2018.