Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Why, after laser eye surgery and lense placement, is

Customer Question
Why , after laser eye...
Why , after laser eye surgery and lense placement , is everything 30% larger in that eye? It causes terribly tripple image problem. Ruining my vision.
What to do?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Eye
1/2/2018
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

How long ago was your cataract surgery?

Was your LASIK done before the cataract? How long before?

Has your other eye had surgery at all? If so, what?

How old are you?

M/F?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

18 months ago
same time same thing
no
77
no medications

So. It sounds like you have corneal relaxing incisions at the time of your cataract surgery. Is this correct?

What happens when you close one eye at a time?

Look at the lens card:

What is the power of the lens (listed as diopters or D)

What is the brand and style of the lense?

What is the size of the optical zone?

What have you done to try and address your vision issue?

Also, were there any complications before, during or after your cataract surgery?

relaxing incisions?
When i switch back ond forth between eyes I get much larger image now in surgeried eye than my normal vision
also if I tilt my head around 360 deg. i ca see pretty well in the perimeters of my eye as in looking around the lense.
the card i was given says softec hd 21.75 D
Ive seen and been tested by retinologists. everything is fine
Optical zone?
Ive also seen other optomoligists No answers. seems as thow they are covering one another.
Id sure like to see again.
I'm a lifetime one eyed person, as in 20-350 in my other eye

Well, testing for aniseikonia is not something that your usual ophthalmologist or retina specialists test for anymore.

This is why you are not getting much relief....

I, however, did research on this topic when I was in Medical school and still have a (old but functional) space Eikonometer in my basement somewhere.

Here are articles that discuss your particular problem in depth:

http://www.opticaldiagnostics.com/info/aniseikonia.html

http://www.ajo.com/article/0002-9394(45)90622-2/abstract

So. What is the take home message?

This can be fixed in a couple of different ways:

1. Remove the lens in your eye and replace it with a different power so that your eyes are more closely matched in their optics.

2. Take the lens out of your other eye (if it is indicated) and, once again, matching the optics of your two eyes better.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD