Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I received 10 stitches between my two eyes, 24 hours later I…

Customer Question
I received 10...

I received 10 stitches between my two eyes, 24 hours later I am now swelling left eye tissue is turning black and more puffy I just started icing it on the last 3 hours is this normal should I go to the hospital

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eye itchy?

I got the stitches 24 hours ago eye not itchy

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Eye
12/30/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Is there any bleeding or discharge from the stitches?

No bleeding not itchy, is it normal that soon as I started icing my forehead and nose my eye got a bit swollen and purple.

Thank you.

Some degree of inflammation is not abnormal and this can give you some color changes (from the degradation of extravasated blood) and swelling.

If there is no fever, no discharge --- then there is no need to go to ER or urgent Care.

Icing is most helpful.

And I wonder if you were given any anti-inflammatory or pain killer?

You can try Motrin (ibuprofen) starting at least 12 to 24 hours after stitching is done, if there is no active bleeding.

This will relieve pain as well as Swelling due to its anti-inflammatory properties.

None given or taken, just seemed strange that I never iced the injury until almost 24 hrs later then my left eye got puffy and bruised.

It will get better with the measures I have told you.

But In case the size of swelling continues to grow big, or if you develop a significant pain with this or bleeding then this will be an indication to have this examined at urgent care.

As of now I presume that it will get better, slowly.

Good luck

Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

developing a black eye and swelling 24 hrs after stitches in my forehead after icing it is normal? I wonder if I didn’t ice my forehead and nose my eye wouldn’t be this way.

This happened because you were not on any anti-inflammatory agent. We usually prescribe them as a preventive as well as therapeutic measure.

I have informed you about the warning signs.

But with this current clinical situation, I don't see any rush for reevaluation.

I see so swelling and bruising 24 hrs after the trauma is normal progression?

Bruising is color change to the blood already inside in the tissues. It changes color with time as it is cleared off. First will be blue, then purple then greenish and subsequently yellowish before it fades away.

Swelling is an ongoing inflammation. This is not abnormal.

It will take some time to settle.

If you still have any concerns you can always go to ER to have this examined by a doctor for your reassurance.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your speedy recovery soon.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor