Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have a constant salty taste in my mouth and dry mouth, I…

Customer Question
I have a constant...

I have a constant salty taste in my mouth and dry mouth, I now have dry eyes. I also get muscle cramps in my legs and feet.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

The dentist has been concerned about deep pockets forming in my mouth around implants over the last few years but other then that none.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I just got over diverticulitis but probably not related. I am not on any medications I am a 67 year old female and maybe 15 pounds overweight at most.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Eye
12/29/2017
Eye Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (non-eye specialty) replied 7 months ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (non-eye specialty)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Dry mouth is termed xerostomia. The causes can be;

1) fever raised body temperature,

2) dehydration,

3) anticholinergic drugs,

4) Mikulicz disease (leukemia infiltrates in salivary glands),

5) Sjögren syndrome; when salivary gland are affected by autoimmune disease,

6) history of radiation

7) antidepressants and other drugs

8) parotid gland infection (parotitis / mumps)

10) diabetes

11) anemia.

The reason for the salty taste needs to be ascertained by the physical examination, although the causes are never very significant but needs attention. Following needs to be looked for;

1) Post nasal drip

2) Sinus infections

3) Peridontal disease:dental infections/diseases

4) Gastroesophageal reflux disease

5) Alcohol and caffeine drinks which makes one dehydrated and thus this sensation

6) If you smoke this is a possibility

7) Medications; the side effects can appear anytime

Drinking fluids and avoiding the caffeine and alcohol drinks is the first step of the management.

Examination by an ENT specialist and a dental surgeon is the second step to look for the cause. Inadequate saliva secretion, which can happen due to medications or because of lack of adequate fluids can also be responsible.

But it is never anything very serious (although annoying), so you should not be worried.

The exact cause of cramps is not well understood, but there are some risk factors that are thought to contribute to this condition:

1) Muscle fatigue,

2) Heavy exercising,

3) Dehydration,

4) Over weight

5) Electrolyte imbalances,

6) Vitamin deficiency,

7) Age above 60.

The medical causes related to the disease process are;

1) Calcium and phosphorus imbalances can cause cramping.

2) Low potassium or sodium (salt) levels.

3) Deficiencies of a nutrient called hesperidin, an antioxidant flavonoid found in oranges and other citrus fruits, have also been linked to nocturnal leg cramps.

4) Overexertion, standing on concrete for long periods, or prolonged sitting (especially with the legs contorted) may contribute to nighttime cramps.

5) Having structural disorders in the legs or feet (such as flat feet) may increase the risk for cramps.

6) Among the many medical causes of muscle cramping include hypothyroidism, Addison's disease, uremia, hypoglycemia, anemia, and certain medications.

Electrolyte imbalances is generally considered the most common main cause. A blood electrolyte level can help you in ruling in or ruling out this. Some researchers believe inadequate stretching and muscle fatigue leads to abnormalities in mechanisms that control muscle contraction. Other factors may also be involved, including exercising or working in intense heat and dehydration.

Prevention of the cramps is the best cure; for that following measures should be employed:

1) Drink water at regular intervals, even when you are not thirsty.

2) Drink more than what you require.

3) Drink fruit juice or a sports beverage if the working conditions are hot and one sweats a lot.

4) If cramps occur frequently, stretching exercises help. Muscle relaxant like chlorzoxazone can also help.

5) Following exercise may help you before you go to bed; Stand about 30 inches from a wall and, keeping the heels flat on the floor, lean forward and slowly move the hands up the wall to achieve a comfortable stretch.

6) A few minutes on a stationary bicycle at bedtime may also help.

7) While in bed, loose covers should be used to prevent the toes and feet from pointing, which causes calf muscles to contract and cramp easily.

8) Propping up the feet up than the rest of the body may also help.

9) During the week, swimming and water exercises are a good way to keep muscles stretched, and wearing supportive footwear is also important.

10) Eating more nuts, seeds, seafood and low-fat dairy would help.

You can consult your physician who would review your medications and medical history. Also, take Calcium and vitamin D with a supplement of magnesium and zinc a day. Gatorade, can help as it contain electrolytes. If still no change, then do follow up with your doctor for a blood test to check the electrolytes. Read the resource which tells you specifically about the night cramps;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/night-leg-cramps/AN00499

Once a cramp starts, do the following measures so it is arrested immediately;

1) Straighten the leg, flex the foot upward toward the knee, or grab the toes and pull them toward the knee.

2) Walking or shaking the affected leg, then elevating it, may also help.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Stay blessed.

Happy new year 2018.